Saturday, May 2, 2015

Friday/Saturday Random Ten: Death of God edition

I'm currently reading James Morrow's Towing Jehovah. The start of a trilogy, apparently, it has to do with the dead body of God being found in the ocean. The Vatican sends an oil tanker to bring the body to the Arctic Circle for burial. A circle of atheists, tipped off by someone onboard, want to sink the body to cover up His existence. I was a little surprised to find out that Morrow himself is an atheist. Nonbelievers don't come off any better than believers in this book. There's a lesson there, I think.

1. Roxy Music - Grey Lagoons
2. St. Vincent - Severed Crossed Fingers
3. Diana Krall - I've Got You Under My Skin
4. Lambert, Hendricks & Ross - Hi-Fly
5. Sarah Vaughan - Moanin'
6. The Kinks - Tin Soldier Man
7. Yo La Tengo - Black Flowers
8. Sonic Youth - I'm Insane
9. Morphine - Whisper
10. Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Pretty Words

2 comments:

susan said...

James Morrow's books were ones I enjoyed reading when we lived in Portland. I remember Towing Jehovah as being somewhat gross in its description of the Divine Being but not much more than that. The book of his I remember with fondness was Only Begotten Daughter - a contemporary story about Jesus' sister looking for the reason she was planet bound.

Interesting FR/SR10. Tin Soldier Man should be better remembered than it is.

Many thanks for the book :) I'll write more soon.

Ben said...

I think I know the parts you mean as "gross." Can see that. I'm interested in Only Begotten Daughter now that you've brought it up, so I'll have to seek it out.

It's a fun little song, I'll give it that.

Was hoping you'd like the book. Has a certain je ne sais quois.