Thursday, May 30, 2013
Anyway, we're at or near the end of another month. Not too exciting blogwise. I should be posting more regularly again in June, once I'm past a couple of things that have already been mentioned.
Monday, May 27, 2013
Public libraries, much like the Post Office, are beset by questions like "Does anyone use that?", "Isn't print dead?" and "Doesn't private for-profit enterprise do everything better?" And while those are all good test questions with intricate answers, the askers tend to get self-satisfied and leave the room before anyone else even starts to answer.
There are also stretches - without any NGOs or foundations to help run a libraray. This seems especially true in the red states, which are also of course the places most resistant to taxation for public projects.
Which is to say that Mellow Pages seems like a great idea. I mean, it's cool in New York, but it may well turn out to be necessary in other places.
Like the name, too. Has a certain Zap Comix air.
Sunday, May 26, 2013
Friday, May 24, 2013
1. Lou Rawls - See You When I Git There
2. Love - Live and Let Live
3. Grizzly Bear - All We Ask
4. T. Rex - Sound Pit
5. Patti Smith Group - Elegie
6. They Might Be Giants - Icky
7. Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights
8. Los Campesinos! - There Are Listed Buildings
9. Edith Piaf - Las Amants de Paris
10. Art Blakey - Dat Dere
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Today I was doing laundry. I loaded clothes and money into one of the washers. When I went back to check on it about 20 minutes later, I found that the laundry was sitting in soapy water. The washer had filled, and then done nothing else. The attendant said he had never seen anything like that happen before.
I guess why have regular bad luck when you can have X-Files bad luck?
Saturday, May 18, 2013
1. David Bowie - The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
2. T. Rex - Change
3/ Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
4. Sarah Vaughan - Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year
5. Edith Piaf - C'est Merveilleux
6. Ladytron - Tomorrow
7. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
8. Brian Eno - Baby's On Fire
9. The Bonzo Dog Band - Equestrian Statue
10. Sly & the Family Stone - We Love All
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
I got through it by going back and thinking about, and trying to put down on paper, what had interested me about the subject in the first place. And also writing down my anxiety about having writer's block, plus a bunch of stuff implied by that. Lo and behold, I started getting more ideas after that.
It's kind of like having stomach flu or something. Once you lean over and puke your guts out, you feel amazingly better.
Monday, May 13, 2013
Friday, May 10, 2013
1. The New Pornographers - Challengers
2. Lou Rawls - Lady Love
3. The Magnetic Fields - Take Ecstasy With Me
4. Sly & the Family Stone - Are You Ready
5. Ladytron - Predict the Day
6. They Might Be Giants - Replicant
7. The Bonzo Dog Band - Postcard
8. Art Blakey - Blues March
9. David Bowie - Love Is Lost
10. Diana Krall - Where or When
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
I was lying in bed late last night, sort of drifting off. Upstairs there were sounds of a loud party: stereo up high, a lot of people talking. Besides being annoying, this struck me as very unlikely. The building is all studio apartments. There's not really room for people to throw parties. On top of that, the landlords are emptying the place out, and most of the tenants have already moved away. So who were all these people?
Since it looked like they'd be keeping me up for some more time, I changed positions, rolling onto my back. Right away, the noise disappeared. Which is to say, it never existed in the first place. While I was still at least partly awake, I was also asleep enough to dream about the sounds of this get-together.
It wasn't an entirely pleasant experience, but kind of cool nonetheless. The way you can just conjure things out of your own head.
Sunday, May 5, 2013
Saturday, May 4, 2013
Weather's cooled down a little the past couple of days. Which is a relief. I'm not ready to be in summer mode yet.
1. They Might Be Giants - You're On Fire
2. The Bonzo Dog Band - Rockaliser Baby
3. Love - The Red Telephone
4. Brian Eno - Cindy Tells Me
5. Edith Piaf - Il Pleuf
6. Sly & the Family Stone - I Ain't Got Nobody (For Real)
7. Sarah Vaughan - It's All In Your Mind
8. The New Pornographers - All the Things That Go to Make Heaven and Earth
9. David Bowie - I'd Rather Be High
10. Patsy Cline - I Fall to Pieces