Wednesday, May 15, 2013

How to get something from nothing (sometimes)

Recently I found myself with, effectively, writer's block.  I had an idea, but couldn't come up with anything leading from it.  In effect the idea was just a bunch of words sitting there mocking me, or at least that's what it seemed like.

I got through it by going back and thinking about, and trying to put down on paper, what had interested me about the subject in the first place.  And also writing down my anxiety about having writer's block, plus a bunch of stuff implied by that.  Lo and behold, I started getting more ideas after that.

It's kind of like having stomach flu or something.  Once you lean over and puke your guts out, you feel amazingly better.

2 comments:

susan said...

That sounds like a good method for getting around the problem. I've been stuck half way through a story illustration project for some weeks now. While waiting for the next bout of inspiration I've done a few other pictures and now some beading projects are keeping me occupied.

It will soon be your birthday, a day that's always been good for me as I hope it will be for you. Did you get the package from us?

Look forward to hearing from you about your upcoming changes.
xoxo

Ben said...

Yes'm I did get your parcel. Merci, merci. I'll talk to you more about it soon.

I'll be keeping my eye out for the results of the new illustration project, too.