Saturday, February 25, 2023

Language barrier stands

Last night I figured I'd watch a movie on YouTube. A thriller, seemed like it could be interesting, and I've enjoyed a couple of things I'd seen Chabrol direct before. Only problem was the dialogue was in French, which I don't really speak or understand.

Well, it turned out to be possible to get subtitles, if you messed around with the settings. Of course what you get is a literal, word-for-word translation. Which, as you might guess, is completely impossible to comprehend. 

Couldn't watch the movie after that, but I think I might try it later on with a movie I'm more familiar with.

2 comments:

susan said...

Unaware that youtube has auto-mode available for movies that haven't been translated into English, I just picked a random Chabrol film and played around. You're right the literal transaltion of dialog leaves a lot to be desired. It might be more entertaining to watch it with Chinese characters even if that would be no less coherent.

Good luck with watching one that's already known to you.

***
Meanwhile:
A driver was stuck in a traffic jam on the road outside Parliament, Delhi.

Suddenly, a man knocks on the window.
The driver rolls down the window and asks,"What's going on?"

"Terrorists have kidnapped all the Indian politicians, and they're asking for a $100 million dollar ransom. Otherwise, they're going to douse them all in petrol and set them on fire. We're going from car to car, collecting donations".

"How much is everyone giving, on an average?" the driver asks...

The man replies, "Roughly 2 litres."

Ben said...

Yeah, I mean I guess it was kind of an accomplishment to put this kind of translation software on the videos at all. It's just that due to the nature of language and how various languages differ it wasn't going to do much good. For shorter things like music videos, or speeches for that matter, it might be good as a way of getting the gist across.

It's not a high priority but it's something I could see myself doing for laughs.

***
Nice joke. See what people can accomplish when they work together?