Monday, February 13, 2023

Getting there

After doing some grocery shopping in Rumford in the late afternoon I figured for a change of pace I'd take the bus north to Pawtucket and then take a bus south from there to get home. So as I had done a number of times before I waited for the 78 and rode it until I got to downtown Pawtucket, the Slater Mill area. What I hadn't realized was that that stop wasn't in service for the bus I needed anymore. They've instead rerouted most buses to the new Pawtucket-Central Falls Transit Center, the new train stop. New as in it just opened three weeks ago. Eventually while I was waiting downtown I saw a sign, but I wouldn't say the change was really well publicized.

I think I'll be staying away from downtown Pawtucket for a while, at least for that time of night. The city has its ups and downs, and now it seems to be entering one of its anomic phases.

As for waiting at the new transit center it's not bad, although due to the previous misunderstanding I was there later than I would have liked. It's well lit, which is a plus. The train station doesn't look like it has anyone working in it, though. Maybe janitors.

2 comments:

susan said...

It sounds like what ought to have been a fairly normal trip that turned into a bit of a nightmare. So did you take another bus to the new train station depot or did you walk? I hope it wasn't too late when you got home after the unexpected adventure.

The new transit center doesn't look especially attractive or that it was built to last. It's probably busier during the day. Downtown Pawtucket must be kind of grim at this point.

Does Providence still have its railway station downtown? I have some fond memories of that one.

Ben said...

Bad, but not a nightmare. A nightmare was when I got stranded in South Attleboro because bus service to and from there is finished by quarter of seven. Didn't walk because I didn't know where it was. Luckily I didn't have to wait long for the bus to the station, but it was kind of a long wait once there. Got home later than I planned, but not super=late.

It doesn't look like there's anything to it except for glass to stand behind when it's raining. Shame about downtown Pawtucket, because it has nice buildings and statues but they're just letting it go to seed.

Providence has a station on a hill near Providence Place mall. Not sure what they're doing with the old onc.