Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Tints

Looking in the drugstore at hair dye for men, you notice a few things. One is that the top brand is called "Just for Men." Okay, so we've got that cleared up. It seems like men, whether they're greying or not, have a complex about leaving the store with a package of Miss Clairol or something else with a woman's picture on the front. Back when I used to dye my hair I never worried about this. Women's brands had a wider selection of colors, anyway.

Of course a number of people now, both men and women, dye their hair unnatural colors like blue and green. Like it's not just for dedicated punk rockers anymore. It's still an attention-getting look, but I'm not sure it really works for people over, say, 35.

2 comments:

susan said...

Considering the widely distributed attitudes today regarding gender rules I'm kind of surprised they'd market products 'just for men'. I guess it's just a matter of time before someone on twitter takes action.

I spent a lot of time and money having my hair permed over the course of a few decades, but I only ever dyed it once. I was thirteen and a girlfriend and I bought dyes that came in rather large capsules. Her plan was to colour her brown hair blonde and, since I was already light-haired, my plan was to be a redhead. The result was that her hair colour didn't change at all (we didn't know about bleach) and mine turned out to be bright orange with carrot stained streaks on my face and neck.. Yes, my mother made me go to school the next day.

You may be right about the age thing regarding outrageous colours but a few days ago we ran into a lovely old woman who's hair was pink and I thought - hmmm.

Ben said...

It could be a generational thing. The dyes for men are explicitly targeted towards gentlemen of a certain age who are naturally going grey. Women buy that stuff for the same reason, but not to the same extent. So the "just for men" products could be rendered obsolete by the changing nature of the market without Twitter even really weighing in.

The dyes that you and your girlfriend bought don't sound very consumer-friendly. Are you sure these weren't just dyes meant for clothes and curtains? In any case, I hope when you went to school the next day you at least were able to come up with a good anecdote. (Well, I guess the truth is anyway.)

Maybe I spoke a little rashly before. But if you're going to do pink hair past a certain age you really need to have a sense of style, which not everyone can carry off.