Friday, March 2, 2018

Naw eastah

The rule of thumb for whether to use an umbrella comes down to two factors: wind and rain.

Light Rain/Low to No Wind: No harm in carrying one, as it could keep you almost totally dry. Not really necessary, though, if you're only going a short trip.

Light Rain/High Wind: Probably more trouble than it's worth. You'll get a little damp, but it dries off after a few minutes indoors. The umbrella could get damaged, and you want to save it for when you need it.

Heavy Rain/Low to No Wind: Well, that's what an umbrella is for, so you don't have to think too much about it.

Heavy Rain/High Wind: No win, here. If you don't use it, you'll get soaked. If you do, it stands a great chance of being destroyed. A wise man might tell you to just stay home.

Tonight I went out in what I knew would be some rain. They're calling it a nor'easter. It was definitely the fourth kind, although I didn't realize the extent of it when I went out. I had an umbrella with me, but for the most part I had to keep it folded up. Which, I don't know, might have made me look like a fool. Oh well.

2 comments:

susan said...

Then there's the Heavy Rain/Low to No Wind with sudden strong gusts. I've lost a couple of umbrellas to that phenomenon - one time just as I got off the bus in downtown Portland.. in front of the luggage/umbrella store.

I'm glad to know neither you or your umbrella came to no harm being out in yesterday's storm. The weather channel was calling it Bombanista (or Bombaloola or some such) in their predictions. These people really need to get out now and again. A nor'easter it was and that's more than enough for a descriptor.

Ben said...

That would be a cross between types three and four. Yeah, those strong sudden gusts force you to react quickly. It's frustrating to just suddenly have your umbrella destroyed, but at least you were well located.

The storm was kind of crazy but I managed to weather it, har har. Are you sure they weren't calling it "Be Bop a Lula, She's My Baby"? I like basic, intuitive names for things, in general.