Wednesday, February 28, 2018

You'll have to spell it out for me


The "Letterman" feature from The Electric Company stands as an example of how lucky my generation was, in a way. This was children's entertainment mixed with education that someone had really expended some care on. While the animation was somewhat limited, the backgrounds had a fascinating quality, like etchings that had suddenly become stages.

Also, Letterman was voiced by Gene Wilder and the Spellbinder by Zero Mostel, so while I didn't have that context, it was a grand battle between Leo Bloom and Max Bialystock.

2 comments:

susan said...

That was very good and a very good find as well what with the voice actors being Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel. Early Sesame Street was great as well (I found this video of Jim Henson describing how the make puppets the year before the show itself debuted), never mind the charming Mr. Rogers.

I'm glad to know you feel you belong to a generation lucky to have had such wonderful entertainment mixed with education. It was a marvelous time that appeared at the time to auger better ones to come. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Ben said...

Oh Hell, I'll even give props to Joan Rivers as narrator. She could be unpleasant as a comedian and as a person, but she knew her stuff. I like that video of Jim Henson, of course. If you'll notice, his natural speaking voice was basically Kermit the Frog. Could very well be a sign that that character is particularly close to his essence.

It's good to count your blessings every now and then. If that wasn't my greatest blessing individually, it was at least up there in terms of my cohort.

Spanish Inquisition? Ah yes, growing up in the time of Python was good too. Although much of their comedy went over my head until I was a little older.