Saturday, February 3, 2018

Unjuried

It's an odd experience to receive a summons for jury duty and get a "never mind" notice by phone at the end of the week before the court dates. One of the bailiffs at the court building did say to call 24 hours before to see if they still needed me. So I was ready to do that, and wasn't expecting to hear it had been canceled before then. It was a robocall, as you might expect, but that means that the first part of the message was cut off by my answering machine because the robot didn't know it had to wait for the tone. Of course it repeated everything anyway, I guess because that's happened lots of times before.

This was federal district court, by the way. They've got a nice building in Downtown Providence. Statuary and everything.

2 comments:

semiconscious said...

my single jury duty call-up was in portland. i got placed on a back-up jury, which, after sitting around all day, never did get summoned. just as well - i mean, who'm i to judge someone else? :) ...

pretty sure that, given anything short of an indisputable smoking gun, evidence-wise, i'd be voting 'not guilty'. unlike some in the #metoo movement, i'm a strong believer in innocent till proven otherwise, no matter the circumstances...

Ben said...

I actually remember hearing about your being called. Well, called for the preliminary stages, at least. They always call more than they need, I guess.

My instinct is to give benefit of the doubt as well. I've certainly needed it and probably will need it again. The #metoo movement is good as far as destigmatizing victims. It's groupthink that's bad.