Thursday, March 22, 2018

Tales of two frontmen

This column is kind of a wryly funny thing. The author, as stated, is a musician. The lead guitarist for the Walkmen, from what I understand. But he's got a gently acerbic voice I like.

In a response to one of these letters he reveals that Lux Interior was nicer to him than Frank Black. Which doesn't surprise me, really. I mean, the Cramps was basically just him and Ivy, so they went through a lot of side players, but there doesn't seem to have been that much drama about it, so maybe not as much in the way of hurt feelings.

2 comments:

susan said...

John Cale: “That’s probably why you’re standing on my foot”
What a great mic drop remark, eh?

I don't know much about Frank Black, but I'm not sure it's fair to make a negative judgment about the guy's reaction to his own lame comment. I'm not surprised he found Lux Interior more approachable, though. Not everybody goes out of their way to play a show at a mental hospital.

Ben said...

I've always liked Cale. I'm sure even the fights he used to have with Lou Reed were pretty amusing, if you were in the right frame of mind.

You're probably right. There's a certain amount of awkwardness built into these situations. Lux and I would guess Ivy as well just had a certain kind of personality and a certain history.