Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Chattering Teeth


This is a brisk documentary on Talking Heads, whom I don't have to sell you on. You know they're cool.

On t'other hand, the use of "on acid" as shorthand for "really, really, weird" irks me, especially when the subject isn't that weird. And some interview segments here raise the possibility that David Byrne is responsible for it. Oh well, my esteem for him is great enough that he can take the hit.

Man's definitely a high tenor when he talks, too.

2 comments:

susan said...

Stop Making Sense was definitely up there among the best concerts we ever saw. This was a great find - I had a few favorite moments but the one I liked most was the few seconds that showed Kermit and Junior wearing matching Big Suits doing their version of Once in a Lifetime.

It was kind of sad at the end when Chris Frantz said,'The fact is David doesn't want to play with us anymore'. Hopefully, they found something good to do instead.

Ben said...

Oh yeah, seeing them in concert was an electrifying experience. This video was just something that YouTube recommended to me. Not entirely taken with the idea of algorithms trying to read my mind, but I'll give them this one.

Being in a band with other people seems to be both intimate and a high-pressure environment. When there are strong personalities involved, it's not too surprising people get sick of each other. Most bands either break up or become hollowed out over time. I have to give credit to U2, who've kept it going with the same four guys for about 40 years now.