Sunday, January 14, 2018

Closing statement

When I used to get rides it would be in older cars. Well, maybe they weren't much older then, but they'd be a lot older now. And that meant that they were built differently. You could be more forceful closing the door, and sometimes you had to be.

More recently, people who've given me rides have been quietly dismayed when I slam, or at least "slam" the door getting out. And I get that. I've worked on it. Now I pretty much just give it a little push.

2 comments:

susan said...

I've learned that cars today are built much lighter than they used to be - more aluminium and plastic rather than steel, I'd guess. It was one of the changes made partially in order to make them more fuel efficient. You're right in having noticed that you don't have to give a right old heave when closing the doors but it's likely a mistake I might make myself since Fushcia is one of the older ones.

One old Canadian tv show we found on youtube has a number of helpful lessons about how to modernize an older car.

Ben said...

Yes, gradually cars have become more plastic, less metal-y. Part of it may be that it took time to find a way of treating the synthetic material so it wouldn't go up like gunpowder when a fire broke out. You get used to it, of course, or you already are used to it if you don't remember anything else.

That Red Green clip was pretty amusing. I wonder how many people tried to wire a hand-mixer to their car door after seeing that episode.