Friday, May 12, 2017

Bottles and cans just clap your hands

Is the city going green?

The other day I was walking through the train station and I saw a couple of transparent recycling containers. One was for bottles and cans, and another for paper/cardboard I guess. It was handy, because I did have a couple of plastic bottles on me, that I'd picked off the street and had been planning to bring home.

Downtown, where the bus stops are, I saw that three arrow recycling sign on the sidewalk a couple of times, apparently indicating the location for a couple of other containers.

So yeah, it's convenient if you're already inclined to pay attention to that stuff. I'm skeptical about how many people will use it, though. You see a lot of trash on the streets, some recyclable and some not. In some cases there are trash cans within a few feet of where it got tossed. Littering is the product of indifference bordering on hostility.

Side note: wonder if anyone will try to recycle dead witnesses and blood sacrifice victims.

2 comments:

susan said...

It's a good thing you do picking up discarded containers to dispose of properly. Thankfully, we don't see too much of that in the park but when I do see a plastic bottle I usually pick it up too. We’ve always had refuse of some kind. In the beginning, it didn’t matter if you threw things on the ground, because it was biodegradable and would rot. It wasn’t a problem until plastic was invented.

As to your other point, bodies are biodegradable - but they smell bad. Or were you thinking about Soylent Green?

Ben said...

Glass doesn't really biodegrade either. It's not as much of a problem as plastic, though, because its chemical makeup just sort of keeps to itself. Unless the glass is broken. Overall it's best not to drop glass on the ground either. It sounds like Canadians might have better habits in that regard.

I was kind of just joshing on Providence being both Lovecraft country and mafia turf. Of course the mob has pretty much given up on RI. Not sure about Cthulhu. He sleeps a lot.