When the PBS Art:21 documentaries are released on DVD I make a point of checking them out of the library. I'm interested in the way various artists approach their practice. What are their particular preoccupations and how does that affect what they do?
This is from a profile of Trevor Paglen, an artist/photographer from Chicago who works out west. Actually this portion wasn't on the DVD so probably didn't air, either. But his work is interesting because he tracks things going into space, the defense technologies that monitor us and everyone else. Topical stuff, but my interest is more aesthetic than political. Assuming there's a difference.
Anyway, the Random Ten.
1. Fitz & the Tantrums - Fool's Gold
2. Amy Winehouse - You Sent Me Flying
3. The Beatles - Drive My Car
4. Lambert, Hendricks & Ross - Mr. PC
5. The Ramones - Makin' Monsters for My Friends
6. The Kinks - David Watts
7. St. Vincent - I Prefer Your Love
8. Lower Dens - I Am the Earth
9. David Bowie - Soul Love
10. Kendra Shank - L'Amour Est Bien Fort Que Nous