Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A tale of two Petes

I'm not calling it "a tale of two Peters," for obvious reasons.

Yes, on balance, I approve of Peter Capaldi's look as the Doctor. It's simple, makes a statement. Most Doctor Who costumes have been somewhat rumpled, Tom Baker's certainly being no exception. And that's fine, rumpled is a way of life for me. But sometimes going in a different direction for contrast is good, and this does that.

There's a good chance that there will be a female Doctor in the next few years. It's actually established on the show now that Time Lords can change sex in regeneration. More importantly, the show's worldwide popularity means that it can risk alienating some of the dead-enders. So what would or should a lady Doctor look like? To start with, the character is consistently brilliant and eccentric. And here's the thing. It's not really eccentric, not in society as it stands now, for a woman to dress in mildly outlandish clothes. What is eccentric for a woman - and I repeat, I'm talking about social convention, not biological instinct - to not spend much time on her appearance. So if a woman were cast as the Doctor, a low maintenance look would probably be best

As for the other Pete, well, play us out, Mr. Seeger.

2 comments:

susan said...

Peter Capaldi looks good. Although - and I'm not sure if it's the pose - but I'm getting a slight whiff of Adam Ant's Dandy Highwayman. Not that that's a bad thing. I like that he's an older Scot: 'Nae one fucking leaves!' Putting the heed on a cyberman. Glassing the Master in the face. Smashing a pub chair over a Dalek's head. 'Tek that ya wee fuckas!'

Truly a man of great soul left us, and we are still Waist Deep in the Big Muddy. Good night Pete. We shall meet again.

Ben said...

I am duly impressed by your mastery of abusive Scots dialect. Have you ever spent a rough weekend in Glasgow? Hadn't thought of Adam Ant but I can kind of see it.

Pete Seeger was - this is at any rate the way he seems to me - one of the most welcoming of musicians. He will indeed be missed.