Friday, July 27, 2012

Noirish Friday Random Ten

I watched The Hitch-Hiker tonight.  It's a 1953 movie directed by Ida Lupino, about two husbands on a weekend getaway (what now would cutely be called a man-date) on the Mexican border.  A serial killer hijacks them and their car to make his getaway.  The killer is played by William Talman, who I just knew as DA Hamilton Burger on Perry Mason.  He wears a belted leather jacket that in itself must have gotten him an unholy amount of tail, and makes him look like Frank Booth.  In fact the character is pretty much a dry run for every David Lynch villain ever.


1. The White Stripes - I Want to Be the Boy That Warms Your Mother's Heart
2. Todd Rundgren - Song of the Viking
3. Fleetwood Mac - That's Enough For Me
4. Ladytron - 90 Degrees
5. The Clash - Brand New Cadillac
6, The Beatles - Girl
7. Charlie Parker - Embraceable You
8. Roxy Music - Triptych
9. Neko Case - The Next Time You Say Forever
10. Stevie Wonder - Big Brother

2 comments:

susan said...

If I saw this movie it was so long ago I have no memory of it. I like the idea of William Tallman as the prototype for the David Lynch villains.

Some nice changes in pace in your FR10 this week. Speaking of music, this might make you smile.

Ben said...

Given the gender dynamics in most Lynch films I was kind of glad there weren't really any women in this. I wonder if the female director had anything to do with that.

I saw that study too. From the Institute to Turn That Damn Noise Down?