Friday, December 22, 2023

Location scouts

I was just thinking, sort of unbidden, about a nearby part of town. It's a place I went to just earlier today. And yet the picture in my mind was obviously embellished into something else. I had to concentrate on certain blocks and storefronts to make the image in my head look like the real place again.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is a function of the unconscious mind. It reconfigures places we know into different ones, through editing a few things out or combining it with someplace else. And it's not necessarily even a bad thing. This is an especially active process in dreams, of course.

2 comments:

susan said...

It's easy for us to take places for granted once we know our way around a particular spot. Every so often I'll take note of a particular neighborhood feature that's always been there but it's like seeing it for the first time.

There's a theory I've heard that our consensus reality is what holds the world we experience in place. But no matter how hard I've tried to envision that version of reality as being something we make ourselves I always fail. I mean how could it be that if we're in one room then all of the other rooms disappear?

***
from Jer:
just happened across this somewhat related phenomenon a couple hours after reading your post:

Ben said...

Familiarity sets in when you've been around a place for a while. Which is good, because you don't always want to be struggling to figure out where everything is. But it's also good to try and see things through fresh eyes now and then.

Consensus reality has a part to play in what we experience, but it's more at the social and conceptual level. When you talk about physical realities those aren't really open to negotiation. If the streets are flooded it won't change anything if we all say that they're dry.

***

Interesting point. I tested it by closing my eyes and of course made out none of the words, because I'm pretty sure they're Latin.