Sunday, February 10, 2019

It's time to dress up right



Did you know that Paul Klee made puppets? If I ever heard anything about it, I must have forgotten. Which is a shame. The brilliant thing about this is that these look like the kind of puppets children could spend hours watching or playing with. They are that kind of simple puppet. But there's a little bit of dark expressionism that doesn't dilute the playfulness, or vice versa.

Nothing wrong with his paintings on their own, but the puppeting adds a new dimension to my image of the man.

2 comments:

susan said...

Nope, I didn't know Paul Klee made puppets but I'm glad you told me. Those are some very cool and strange little creatures.

He was an artist who created serious work but never seemed to take any of it seriously - a sign of genius.

Ben said...

Yes, quite. I just enlarged the picture up top and was impressed all over again.

You're right that there's a lightness that seems to accompany his artwork. It's a good way to proceed.