Friday, October 30, 2020

Dreaming of a white whatever

 The first thing to remember is that yesterday it started raining in the morning and never really let up. It got heavier and lighter, but never stopped.

This morning I got up late, so had to hurry through my routine. I did notice that the ground was still wet, and that more was coming down. But more what? It wasn't until I was running to the bus stop in a panic that I noticed that snow was mixed in with the rain. It became dominant later in the day.

It's weird to see snow piled up on trees when their leaves are still partly green. I talked to an older gentleman about this while waiting for the bus home. He says he could remember a big snowstorm that happened on Mother's Day. So you never know.

Talking to strangers at a bus stop. Little things you might not have expected to miss, but are a relief when they come again.

2 comments:

susan said...

I'm pretty sure the rain and snow you had was the tail end of Hurricane Zeta sweeping through. I'm glad to hear it was noticeable only because of the unusual snowfall that morning.

The earliest snowstorm I remember (as an older woman) happened in September in Toronto the year before you were born. I know what you mean about there still being leaves on the trees because in that regard what happened was that a lot of trees were very badly damaged when the branches weren't able to support the weight of snow on the still very leafy trees. I recall it was all very pretty just before the branches began to fall.

Having a conversation at a bus stop is definitely a good sign.

Ben said...

Well, there were branches severed from trees and resting on the ground. The hurricane theory would certainly explain that. It's also true that we were very lucky.

That storm in Toronto does sound like it would have been pretty to look at. Or the immediate effects would have been. I'm sure there must have been an unholy mess to clean up afterwards.

A good sign. Definitely relieving. We'll see how things develop.