Saturday, October 10, 2020

Разговорное время

 My old wristwatch had a tendency to have its glass broken. This can be a big problem as far as it's working goes, as you might imagine. Especially if there's a chunk of the crystal blocking one or both arms. Even if the arms still go, it's ugly to look at.

I replaced it recently. The replacement arrived today. It's Russian. Feels pretty good on my wrist. One thing that seemed like an issue was that I didn't know how to set the time and the instruction booklet was―no big surprise, I guess―in Russian. But I found English instructions online, and it turns out to be pretty simple.

2 comments:

susan said...

If you're used to having one being deprived of a watch can be more than a bit disconcerting. For years I never wore one but back then it seemed there were clocks everywhere - and not the kind that people nowadays have on their smartphones either. Having a broken watch is definitely not something to count on and a broken or cracked crystal must have been annoying. I'm surprised you found a Russian made one - good for you.

The watch I got in Halifax 5-6 years ago is a Citizen whose main selling point is the fact it never needs a battery. It's not the fanciest timepiece but it sure is reliable.

Ben said...

Some people don't have a problem with only having a smartphone to tell the time. But then a lot of them seem to be staring at their phones basically all the time. I don't want to do that. Plus I like the look and feel of a good wristwatch. This one has a nice, classic yet distinct look and feels solid. It's a Vostok. I didn't go out looking for a Russian watch, but it caught my eye on eBay.

Glad your Citizen (Japanese) is working out. I tried that brand, but that was the one where the crystal kept breaking. Probably because the band was too large.