Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Call it odd, call it weird

 Here's an interesting little eventlet. I've been working on a story recently. How's it going? Oh, the very definition of fits and starts.

Anyway, one of the characters is a sleepwalker, and sleepwalks in the story. Me, I'm not really known to sleepwalk. So there goes the "write what you know" thing that I don't really believe in.

HOWEVER, a couple of nights ago I got up and took a shower in the middle of the night when I wasn't really aware of it. The next day I could have forgotten it completely or written it off as a dream. Bu there were pieces of evidence showing me what I'd done. Didn't seem right to dismiss it.

2 comments:

susan said...

Damp towels?

It's kind of hard to imagine you could actually shower and not wake up. I guess the water was the right temperature to keep you comfortable.

I'll keep my fingers crossed this was an experience not to be repeated.

Ben said...

Little damp, yeah. That plus their not being where they'd usually be in the morning.

The thing about sleep and wakefulness is that they form a spectrum rather than a binary on/off. I wasn't entirely one or the other. Almost certainly more "awake" than a true somnambulist would have been, though.

Don't expect it to happen again anytime soon. But I'm a little grateful it's prodded me to keep thinking about the topic.