Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Some dream description ahead. Apologies.

 The other night I dreamed that I walked into a room of my apartment, not necessarily the one I live in now. There was broken glass on the floor. Which made sense because the window suddenly had a great jagged hole in it. I flicked the switch, but the light wouldn't turn on, although I tried and tried.

What does it mean? Maybe something, maybe nothing. Does it point to a certain amount of anxiety? Well, not having any would be somewhat unusual. To be sure, though, it wasn't a "wake up screaming" situation. In essence I just remember it because I happened to have a full bladder at the time.

Also, since I started writing this, I've managed to stop my router battery from beeping. So I seem to be capable enough in real life.

2 comments:

susan said...

Recalling dreams is a skill I once tried to develope in order that I might reach the point where I could dream lucidly. It never worked. Trying to wake up and write notes in a dream diary as instructed was totally beyond me. It was always dark in the room and even if I did find enough light to write by whatever bits I noted down appeared as incoherent ramblings the next day.

Maybe your dream meant nothing but it's true we do tend to work through problems while we're asleep and dreaming. It's just that we have no control of their direction - unlike when we're conscious. Being capable in waking life is what counts.

Ben said...

Keeping a dream journal sounds like a wonderful idea and it may work for someone. But I see the same problems that you describe. By the time you get the notebook out, find a pen, turn on the light so you can see what you're writing, the dream state and it's attendant thoughts and feelings are fading. Better to just retain what you can through your normal sleep and wakefulness cycle, and recall it to someone or just yourself later on.

And yes, capability in waking life is the what really means something. Certainly you'll find no shortage of people trying to frustrate and flummox you during waking hours.