Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Early & often

 Today was a primary day, so I went out and voted. It was my first time this year voting in person. For the Presidential primary I got a mail in ballot because in 2016 there was some kind of venue change in the primary vote and I had to go looking for the place, which I didn't want to deal with again. COVID was a minor consideration, except for the obvious fact that it wind up pushing the primary back by two months.

I can attest that the the page we used to sign has gone paperless, which seems counterproductive since it just gives them a screen they have to keep wiping off. And there's a pen you use for that which you use the other end of for actual voting. This you throw in a plastic bag at the end of the process. Said process looks like it has become more awkward and less friendly, which sadly you learn to expect.

2 comments:

susan said...

Congratulations for having succesfully performed your civic duty again despite the fact they certainly aren't making it any easier as time goes by. So far, thankfully, voting is still a straightforward process here - much like it used to be there. Once you're registered you get a notification before the election about where the local polling place will be and, yes, the ballots continue to be paper ones that are hand counted and available for examination afterwards in case of necessity.

Ben said...

Oh, the ballots are still paper here as well. That's an odd thing about the pens. They're some kind of e-pen on one side, just regular ballpoints on the other.

Anyway, I'm glad enough to have my voice heard, to the extent that it is. It's just that like everything else this year, you're always being reminded that you're standing in the wrong place, handling things the wrong way, etc. They're still giving out the "I VOTED" stickers, although I never got around to wearing mine this time.