Monday, September 14, 2020

Separating the wheat

 A while ago I found out about a market soliciting short stories on a particular theme. Tonight I finished―blessedly―the first draft. It's about 1,000 words over the upper word limit. This isn't as huge a problem as you might think. In fact it's good. The whole thing needs to be overhauled, and I expect to lose more verbiage than I make up, even though I'll be doing both. So it's kind of a lucky break.

Of course the real lucky break is the fact that the deadline isn't until the end of October.

2 comments:

susan said...

Congratulations on getting so far along with a new writing project. It's never a bad thing to have some limits assigned to a creative endeavor whether they're your own or simply part of an assigned task.

I hope your story will be accepted and published.

Ben said...

It's basically finished now. I'm doing a little fine-tuning now, making sure it's as strong as I can strengthen it. So it'll be going out soon. Then we wait.

The anthology should be an interesting one.