Saturday, September 12, 2020

Smells like teen DOOM!

 I just watched Carrie tonight. Pretty enjoyable, on a scary movie level. While high school settings may have gotten more common as time went on, and teenage protagonists in horror movies are certainly a popular thing, having a horror movie largely take place at prom is a pretty unusual movie. De Palma, to his credit, embraces the idea, showing it in all its tacky mid-seventies glory.

Maybe the weirdest thing is the "based on the novel by" credit. Because when this movie came out, no one knew or really cared who Stephen King was. Just another name from the paperback racks.

2 comments:

susan said...

Well, I have neither read the book nor seen the movie but, like everybody, I'm very familiar with the story and it's definitely a scary one. Jer told me this afternoon that it was Stephen King's first book, the movie of which began his very successful career. Although DePalma was becoming better known at that point wikipedia told me it was Carrie that allowed him to develope some of his other unique visions. Dressed to Kill was his homage to Hitchcock's Psycho - both of them scary films I have seen more than once.

I just remembered I wanted to tell you I do keep battery powered items plugged in too - like the computers and the i-pod. What I don't leave charging is my e-cigarette because I don't entirely trust the things.

Ben said...

Yes, it was the first book he was able to publish. He was ready to give up on it at one point and credits his wife for him finishing it. The movie came out when King was an unknown and De Palma was pretty obscure. Some of his earlier movies, like Sisters and Phantom of the Paradise are pretty enjoyable. I remember Dressed to Kill as well. It's fairly easy to figure out the ending once you realize that it's in essence a Psycho remake, but it probably wasn't intended to be a surprise anyway.

I can't say I blame you for distrusting the e-cig. Assuming - I haven't used one myself - that it's supposed to recreated the sensation of fire, you never know what kind of process is going on in there.