Saturday, December 21, 2019

Wheezy

I talked to a waitress today. Waitress and proprietor, she and her husband own the place. She told me she felt bad for not opening last Saturday, but her son had to go to the hospital. Well, in those circumstances guilt over closing up shop seems kind of silly.

Anyway, he's five and has asthma. Having had some experience with the condition myself, albeit not at so young an age, I assured her it's manageable when you know what you're dealing with. Which the doctors had already told her, of course, but I figured a little extra reassurance wouldn't hurt.

2 comments:

susan said...

It's very scary thing for parents when a child is ill and not much fun for the kid either (or the afflicted young adult as you can attest). We both had asthma as children - my parents moved away from England because of my condition, although we never did get to Arizona as had been advised. Jer was hospitalized for months when he was very young. We were among the lucky ones who outgrew it and hopefully this little boy will too.

Happily, it's become a highly treatable disease with some doctors saying today's asthma treatments are so effective, many people have near-complete control of their symptoms. I hope you are among them. I'm sure your reassurance made her feel better.

Ben said...

Wild to think of you three living in Arizona. It has its nice points, I'm sure. Maybe not for me, though. I have a friend whose son developed asthma as a baby while we roomed with anothre guy, who smoked a lot. Not positive it was a causal factor, but it might have been. Anyway, that baby's a young adult now, and seems pretty healthy.

I hope I helped put her mind at ease a little. She's always been good to me.