Wednesday, December 25, 2019

圣诞节快乐 (Shèngdàn jié kuàilè)

There's a fairly familiar trope about how Jews―although certainly not only Jews―dine out at or order in from Chinese restaurants on Christmas. Not a bad tradition, I'd say. On Hope Street in the Rochambeau area there's a Chinese place that was open today. There are also a couple of restaurants with a more general Asian cuisine, one of which leans Thai. Neither of them did business today, as far as I can tell. Maybe it only works for eateries that are Chinese per se. Maybe Orthodox Jews eat in more. If I find the answer I'll let you know.

Oh, I will be getting in touch personally very soon.

2 comments:

susan said...

I happened across an article this morning in the LA Times that said Chinese restaurants were disappearing on the west coast because the generation that opened them are mostly getting too old to keep up the long hours and their well educated children aren't interested in the business. If 80+ hour work weeks are the norm I certainly don't blame the kids. If that becomes generally true I guess their regular customers of whatever religious persuasion are going to have to come up with alternatives.

We'll look forward to hearing from you whenever you like. Hope you had a nice Christmas.

Ben said...

I read that article as well. Most of the restaurateur parents (or grandparents) sounded happy that their kids had options to do something else with their lives rather than work double shifts keeping the restaurant running. As for all those hungry people who either don't have plans or don't feel like cooking for Christmas, well, I'm sure there will still be some kind of options.

I did. And hope you had a cool one as well. (You know what I mean.) Call still coming.