Thursday, December 5, 2019

Coppers

One of the less visible of my little quirks is my reaction to wheat pennies. Those are the one-cent coins with two sheaves of wheat on the obverse, surrounding some art nouveau text. They were minted from 1909 to 1958, so from early Taft to late Ike.

I tend to hold onto them for as long as I can, not using them to even out change until every other penny is gone. Is this because I like to maintain a physical link to the past? Or is it an experiment to see how long I can keep them jingling in my pocket? Probably a bit of both.

2 comments:

susan said...

Holding on to old wheat pennies seems pretty cool to me. One thing I don't like about Canada is that they got rid of pennies not long after we arrived - the other thing is that what used to be one of the world's most attractive currencies is no more. We have plasticized bills that feel quite nasty.

Your grandfather collected old English coins, none of them very valuable but very nice because they're old and odd at this point - as they were when he chose them. I've saved them for you and will send if you'd like to have them.

Ben said...

Hm. I don't think I had realized Canada had phased out pennies. It sort of makes sense, given the fact that the Canadian dollar is still worth less than the US one, thus far. Still you still see Canadian pennies down here from time to time. I really don't like the idea of plasticized bills, though.

Grandad had a lot of cool interests. Wish I had appreciated him more on that level. Thank you for holding onto the coins. I don't need to have them now, but it's nice to know they're there.