Friday, April 3, 2015

Musing on Friday Random Ten

Many times I've heard people say that as they've gotten older they've stopped reading fiction. Philip Glass said something like this in an interview published last Sunday, although he made exceptions for a couple of authors he knew personally. (Must be nice...) Maybe it's a matter of having different expectations of reading. Robert frost said, "I never dared to be a radical when young/For fear it would make me conservative when old." By the same token I haven't read fiction exclusively in youth, so it's unlikely I'll drop it entirely in age.


1. Lou Rawls - Groovy People
2. Diana Krall - Do It Again
3. Les Baxter - All the Things You Are
4. St. Vincent - Prince Johnny
5. Rasputina - Remnants of Percy Bass
6. The Magnetic Fields - Torn Green Velvet Eyes
7. Yo La Tengo - The Story of Yo La Tengo
8. Broadcast - America's Boy
9. The Who - Odorono
10. Mose Allison - Autumn Song

2 comments:

susan said...

Now that I've entered that period of life that could be described as older than many, I find I still love to read both fiction and non-fiction. I suppose I could argue my taste in reading material has become more refined, but that would be only partially true. It's been interesting to re-read books from long ago to simply see how much my understanding has changed.

Interesting FR10 this week. Isn't it funny how a title like 'Groovy People' denotes a very particular era?

Ben said...

There is value in revisiting. Partly because even with things you loved reading you're bound to forget certain details, then you can rediscover them. Other things you have a new context for.

Yeah, "groovy" has never really made a comeback. It is expressive, though.