Friday, June 6, 2014

A killer? Not quite

I started my bordreline official - meaning "not official at all - tonight with Divorce, Italian style, or Divorzio all'italioano.  It's about a man from waht appears to be a  dading aristocartic family.  He hates his wife, longs or at least lusts after hsi cousin, and has many fantasies of killer the former in the arms of anothermen.

The film seems to have a great critical reputaion.  The DVD case name drops Marin Scorsese as a fan.  It's not really for me, though.  The antihero isn't that compelling, even if Marcallo Mastroianni always has this cool thing about him.  Also the jokes - this is a comedy - hit the same beasts too often.

So I didn't finish this one.  Better luck next time, I guess.

2 comments:

susan said...

I think you should avoid 1960s Italian movies from now on - unless, of course, you have some friends over for pizza and beer to help share the misery.

Ben said...

Pizza is Italian food, although most of the pizza we enjoy here is bastardized, and I wouldn't have it any other way. But thematic resonance.

I should stipulate that this movie looked really good. If the subtitled dialogue was better or if it was rare enough to ignore, I'd have found it more watchable.