Saturday, March 1, 2014

Glitch-delayed Saturday Random Ten

The more immediate glitch is that while I had my iPod hooked up to the laptop on Thursday night, when I tried to listen to it on Friday it had no juice at all.  This might be explained by the latest iTunes update.  Maybe while it was waiting for me to decide whether I'd download it, the gadget wasn't receiving any charge.

The odder, more interesting story.  Also on Thursday night, or rather very early Friday morning, I awoke to the sound of a circular saw cutting into a hornet's nest next to a megaphone.  Well, really it was the fire alarm.  This was somewhere in the 4:30 zone.  It turned out a leak in someone's bathroom had started to flood the apartment below it.  I wasn't the leaker or the leakee, luckily.  Anyway, water got on the smoke detector, which I guess made it think the sprinklers were going off so it sounded the alarm.  For some reason no one else but me thought to call the fire department - who made nice time when I did, by the way.  Still, I prefer the fire alarm to having the mice skitter around my apartment in the middle of the night.  It's a public nuisance, as distinguished from a private hell.

1. R.E.M. - Good Advices
2. New Order - Ultraviolence
3. Joni Mitchell - Black Crow
4. Arcade Fire - Normal Person
5. The Clash - I'm So Bored With the USA
6. Roxy Music - Manifesto
7. Mose Allison - You Can Count On Me
8. Amy Winehouse - Moody's Mood for Love
9. They Might Be Giants - Protagonist
10. Dinah Washington - New Blowtop Blues

4 comments:

susan said...

We've been having some battery issues with our three year old i-pod just recently too. It runs out of power much faster than seems acceptable - as in an hour or so. Oh well, we don't use it that much.

I loved your very well written description of the sound of a fire alarm at 4am. That the firemen arrived so quickly is good news insofar as city services being kept in fine form is concerned. It's a good thing it wasn't your place being washed out and better still you're living somewhere now where mice aren't a problem.

Excellent SR10. I love the song Black Crow by Joni and most of the others bring good memories too. The Clash and Roxy songs are emblematic of their best as are New Blowtop Blues by Dinah Washing ton and Moses' You Can Count On Me.

alicetherobot said...

http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/Glitch+delayed+Saturday+Random+Ten/95854071

Ben said...

Alice, you have an interesting blog, but I think you should know the contact on your profile page doesn't lead to a real web page.

Ben said...

Hiya Susan. I've probably talked about this before, but digital technology is frustrating in that when something goes wrong, you usually have no way of knowing what it is or how to fix it. Unless you're an IT expert, and they get stumped sometimes. So sufficiently advanced technology is like magic, but not neccessarily in a good way.

Haven't had a chance to talk to the couple who did get washed out again. Hopefully they're cleaned up now. But yeah, glad to have a working fire deparment here.

Glad you liked the songs. :-) "You Can Count Om Me" is quite clever.