Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Breathing, a universal subject

I'm a part-time asthmatic.  I've had a couple of major attacks in my life and a few minor ones.  Nothing too recent, though.

In the grips of asthma it's difficult to sleep, nigh impossible without an inhaler.  One of the reasons for this is that you can hear your own wheezing, and for obvious reasons this sounds like a respiratory red flag.  It makes you aware of just how much you're not breathing well.

But in good health, or passable health, you also hear your own breath.  Especially when laying down to sleep.  It is, if all goes well, more calming in these circumstances.  Worth noting if only because it's something you tend to ignore the rest of the day.

2 comments:

susan said...

We were both asthmatics as children, outgrown in adulthood. I'm sorry it happened to you at all, but glad the attacks are rare and that inhalers are available now.

Jer's just getting over pneumonia so I know what you mean about listening to wheezing and just how good it is to hear normal breaths.

Following the breath is a major part of meditation.

Ben said...

I don't regret having asthma in the past, not at all. You have to have a few challenges in life. My hardship count has probably been somewhat low, so a few respiratory problems keep me from being a complete lightweight.

I do hope Jerry is feeling better, though. Must have been a rough winter.

It's probably one of the more accessible forms of meditation.