Thursday, July 11, 2024

Opacity - The opposite of transparency

Not sure if this is true of Macs, but with PCs they send out updates, and then you have to reboot to make sure the installation was complete. In the space of three days I've had to reboot four times. All on one update, I believe.

Now if I'm complaining I want to make sure that I limit the complaint. Everything is running okay now, as these things go. But it's weird that I don't even know what they changed or added. Microsoft feels no need to keep users up to date on what they're doing. An example of the arrogance of the tech industry. One of many.

2 comments:

susan said...

Apple sends out notices that system updates are available but you can ignore them. I think the longest I've gone without updating my MacBook Pro is about a year - until it became obvious certain programs were no longer working properly.

Firefox adds updates every couple of weeks whether I want one or not.

Jer's told me his Chromebook updates 2 or 3 times a week but since the system is so simple compared to Apple and PCs it doesn't require him to take time to do anything. They just show up like my Firefox updates.

I agree it's rude of them and of course it's designed to keep everyone but tech pros off balance. You feel bad seeing old people having difficulty at the grocery checkouts because they can't keep up with even lower level changes.

Ben said...

Technically I could probably ignore these as well, just buy not choosing one of the "Update and..." options. Only thing is I don't know ahead of time what's important and what's not, or what the consequences would be.

Firefox does seem pretty update happy, although at least it tends to be inconspicuous.

Chromebooks have a reputation of being no-frills. If a few people on a job are sharing a laptop it's likely to be a Chromebook. So it makes sense for their process to be seamless.

One upside to the recent CrowdStrike outage is that it's brought home how good it is to have the option of paying cash in stores. That might be a relief to older customers.