Monday, November 20, 2023

Roadside assistance

I saw the above bumper sticker earlier this evening, on a car that matched it alarmingly well. It raised a couple of questions for me.

  1. Where did this "bestie" thing come from? It sounds kind of mockney to me, although I've no confirmation it's of British origin. The Merriam-Webster website dates it to 1991, but I've only started hearing it in the last decade.
  2. How good a friend do you have to convince other drivers you are in order to keep them from T-boning you? Is that where we're at?

2 comments:

susan said...

I just made the mistake of looking up contemporary (milennial) cool phrases; I don't suggest you do the same. Oh yes, I remember 'groovy' and 'grody' and I actually still use 'cool' but I think I stopped being 'hip' to new slang when I figured out what 'BFF' meant.

One like this is easy to deconstruct, but like so many of the others it's more a petulant demand than anything moderately amusing or clever.

Let's not forget '23 skidoo' - don't hear that too often nowadays and 'bestie' will likely drift away too.

Ben said...

With millennials it's hard to tell what they really sound like and how much of it is older people trying to imitate them. Same with Zoomers, as the teens and early twenties of today are known. "Cool" has stood the test of time and attached itself to the language, which is appropriate, really.

The petulant aspect I didn't notice at first. Might be more obvious if you're a woman. Now that you point it out I can't miss it.

I just learned now that "23 skidoo" referred to leaving in a hurry. Time flies.