Friday, November 24, 2023

FM sometime in the AM

The other night I was woken up by my clock radio going off. 

OR WAS I?

I was lying in bed when I heard blaring music. It was still very much in the night stage of the AM hours, so I wondered why it was going off. But the immediate priority, of course, was turning it off. But I found it hard to turn over. Really hard.

This difficulty in moving is usually a sign that I'm not fully awake. And in fact once I did make it over to the clock radio, I tooled with it for a few seconds but found that it was just sitting there silently. The blaring music had been a dream or something hypnagogic. In my head, either way.

So I turned over and went back to sleep, which was uneventful for the rest of the night. But it just made me think, "weird."

2 comments:

susan said...

I agree that was weird. Usually when we hear an odd noise in our sleep it's some real sound that we interpret as something else. I can't imagine what caused that particular occurrence in the middle of the night.

Speaking of dreams I don't remember if we've ever talked about one of Kurosawa's last films, the beautiful and enigmatic, Dreams. What he did was to make a movie of dreams that had recurred over his lifetime. Filled with surreal scenarios: a field of crows that becomes a vanGogh painting; a cherry orchard with Noh puppets; Mt. Fuji after a nuclear war; the lovely waterwheel village where everyone is at peace. Kurosawa was an amazing visionary who created some unforgettable images.

I still love his samurai movies and a number of others but Dreams is well worth your time if you haven't seen it. Maybe it's about time for us to see it again.

Ben said...

That can also happen, yes. As you go to sleep the explaining part of the brain becomes inactive, so a noise you'd ordinarily be able to identify or at least guess about becomes weird and mysterious. If that was the case here it's impossible to trace what caused the sound.

I remember reading about Dreams but thus far I haven't seen it. Martin Scorsese is an interesting choice to play Van Gogh. It's also quite interesting that Kurosawa appears to have made him up and shot him to look like an actual Van Gogh painting. Kurosawa's films are exciting and unforgettable. Dreams sounds like it's more low-key that the ones he's best known for, but I'm sure he can pull it off.

Another one I'll have to see at some point. I'm trying to think of other dreamlike movies. I'm sure I will eventually.