Monday, November 6, 2023

Communiqués

Special election tomorrow to replace Representative David Cicilline, also the former Mayor of Providence. And you know what that means. Yes, at-home robocalls. Oh what a thrill. I've gotten two today on behalf of Democrat Gabe Amo and one on behalf of Republican Gerry Leonard.

In the Leonard call he talks about his 30 years in the US Marine Corps and promises to "fight extremists" and we get it already. One of the two for Gabe Amo features the voice of Barack Obama and I wonder if he actually recorded it or if they have an AI for that now.


2 comments:

susan said...

From what I can see that although David Cicilline's resignation may benefit him in his new job, it will be no loss to see him gone from Congress. After all, he's voted for Joe Biden's stated positions 100% of the time. As they used to say, 'If two people agree about everything one of them isn't needed'. (Biden's time is coming)

Oh well, what can I say? I just looked up the results and learn Gabe Amo (who served in the Biden admin) has won. I guess it's hardly surprising what with Obama's (?) recommendation and the fact Ri hasn't elected a Republican in donkey's years... At least the political robocalls will cease for the time being.

Ben said...

Truth to tell, I don't know a lot about the Rhode Island Foundation, where Cicilline is going to be working now. In terms of how ethical it is, how effective, etc. I'm sure the lion's share of his new job is just to attract donors with his name and rep, though. Still, you're right, he wasn't adding a lot as a member of Congress.

The end of the robocalls is certainly a relief. I'll sign a petition to put just about anybody on the ballot, but as far as voting for them or not, just leave me alone. To Amo's credit, though, he voted against a recent measure to strip funding for college campuses with "antisemitic" activity on them, like who's defining that? The First Amendment is taking another beating.