Saturday, September 9, 2023

Something had to give

What can I say about this past week? If it hasn't been the hottest week of the summer, it's at least been hotter than any week in August. Days in the 80s and 90s, nights not much cooler. 

This afternoon we had a thunderstorm. Having been caught out in it while I was grocery shopping I can testify that the rain got thick enough so that some streets you couldn't cross without dipping your feet in a flooded curb. That might cool things down some. I'm hoping for a comfortable sleep.

2 comments:

susan said...

When I had a summer job at a department store in Toronto I'd catch a ride home with my parents most days by getting to my mother's office in time to meet my dad with the car. One afternoon I got caught in a serious cloudburst but kept walking anyway because I didn't want to miss the ride. Yes, I got soaked and had to wear an old coat for the drive but the weirder thing was my new turquoise dress had run so I was an interesting shade of blue. Today that would be a sign of personal cool - rather like green hair.

Did you see how famous your former Governor was when she made a recent visit to China? They even put her picture on the new phone covers.

Ben said...

Sometimes powering forward is your only real option. I think I might have had my foot dyed my shoes running in the rain. It sounds like the dress had a cheap dye job, probably because the expectation was that girls who bought it wouldn't keep it for very long. I don't know how many ancestors you have from pre-Anglo-Saxon Britain but they had a tradition of dyeing themselves blue, so it might have resonated with them.

China has a corporate booster culture on top of most of a century's worth of totalitarian government. Because of that it's hard to tell when they're being ironic. But if Chinese people know who the US Secretary of Commerce is that's an edge they have over most Americans.