Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Different look

As I believe I've mentioned before, I sit on the side with the Spanish-language TVs when I go to the laundromat. Reason being, I find the Anglophone programming―especially news―intrusive. With Spanish I'd have to concentrate to understand what's being said, so it's easier to let it slide into the background.

Just as I was readying to empty the dryer and leave tonight, I saw that a telenovela was playing. I know that these are in the same general genre as American soaps, but I noticed a difference. Daytime soaps in this country are―or in most cases, were―shot on soundstages, and tend to have a kind of underwater look. This was filmed in a real indoor location, with available light. It was a more natural look. Albeit with flawlessly pretty people, because it's still TV.

2 comments:

susan said...

It's rare for me to be in the near vicinity of a tv set but when it happens I'm usually able to have it switched off - the dental hygienist is easily persuaded. I have noticed the bits I do see are often very long disguised ads for home improvements. Any kind of news shows I would also find intrusive, particularly since I can't help but see the way stories are framed for maximum effect.

Your tendency to stay on the Spanish language side of the laundromat makes perfect sense. Why suffer unnecessarily?

Anyhow, speaking of entertainment (weren't we?) Jer showed me this very funny video clip of Groucho Marx roasting Johnny Carson in 1968 at a Friar's Club. There was a time when tv was closer to reality than it is now.

Ben said...

Ads for home improvements, huh? I haven't noticed that as much here. I wonder if that's something specific to the Canadian market. But yes, that's a big part of the thing with TV news. Everything is pre-digested, and it often seems like they don't report anything until they've decided what you should be made to think about it.

It's a pretty handy solution. I don't know why it took me as long as it did to think about it.

It took me a second to realize that the guy sitting next to Groucho was Ed Sullivan. Doesn't seem like as natural a roaster, but I'm sure he tried. Very few of us are Groucho, of course. The paired jokes about Johnny's mother and teacher were brilliant. "But she didn't remember Johnny. She remembered Johnny's father..."