Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Cubed

I have to admit not being a big fan of iced coffee. Iced caffeinated beverages in general, really. One of two things tend to happen. Either I drink the stuff with flavor and then have half a cup full of ice to get rid of. Or maybe I draw the drinking out long enough for the ice to melt, but then the beverage is watery. Drinking water is very good and important, but you don't have to spring for an ice latte to do it.

Only reason I bring this up is that the weather is getting cooler, and I still see a lot of people toting around iced coffee. And I'm sure I'll still see a lot in January. Are they trying to fool their bodies into thinking it's still summer? Fine if they want to do that, but I'll pass.

2 comments:

susan said...

Not being a fan of iced drinks myself I can't help but agree with your reasons for disdaining them. Only once early this past summer did we indulge in a large iced coffee for the simple reason it was an unexpectedly hot day and we'd neglected to bring water with us.

I just found myself wondering why nobody ever came up with reuseable plastic ice cubes - turns out they did... Kind of gives a whole new meaning to vodka on the rocks, doesn't it? Given a choice I'd stick with the frozen water ones.

Lots of people appear to be eager to fool themselves these days about many things.

Ben said...

From the way you described it most of the summer seemed to be pretty mild, but there are always exceptions. And yes, those exceptions may catch you by surprise. Any port in a storm and all that.

I assume that's a photograph of the plastic ice cubes since product illustrations on Amazon generally are. Still, they look unreal somehow. I guess I'd prefer frozen water as well, although my real preference is for the beverage to be chilled to the desired temperature and not need ice.

Many want to fool themselves and be fooled, and often they are successful.