Friday, April 29, 2022

To coin a phrase

So today I saw a 2022 US quarter for the first time. Two of them in point of fact. I believe the current plan is to have notable women on the obverse. First up is Sally Ride, whose surname is something of an aptronym.

The quarter looks pretty good, but I have to wonder about this strategy. They keep telling us there's a coin shortage. Well, is making every quarter a special edition helpful with that? Seems like it could lead to a lot more hoarding. Make change boring again.

2 comments:

susan said...

I hadn't heard the word aptronym before but it makes sense it means an apt name, some so much so it's as if the name was made up after the fact. I'm sure you've seen any number of examples in literature besides those few like Sally Ride who were or are real people. There was one notable name on a headstone we used to pass when we walked through one of the Halifax cemetaries - it was Coffin.

The coin shortage thing is kind of strange for the reason you mention about limited edition quarters. In Canada they eliminated pennies a few years ago. Prices still reflect pennies, as in amounts ending in 99¢, but they just round off when you pay or get change. I'm wondering when they'll get rid of nickles and dimes.

Ben said...

Yeah, I think for me the word "aptronym" was just a random find on Wikipedia. As with you I'm pretty sure I had come across names like that, even if I didn't necessarily know what to call them. The guy in the cemetery named Coffin would certainly seem to fit. Especially if it was emphysema that did him in.

At some point they probably will eliminate pennies down here too. If and when they do, I guess I can deal. Some cashiers don't deal with pennies and just round off. The thing is that they always seem to round off to their own advantage, regardless of what the exact price would be. Not the most important thing in the world, but it is rankling.