Monday, October 11, 2021

Krypto-nightlife

News from the DC Universe. Superman likes boys now. 

To catch you and myself up, the old Kal-El/Clark Kent Superman is in retirement for now. The Superman referred to above is his adult son. Yeah, it's been a while.

If I were still reading comics, this wouldn't make me stop, but it's not going to make me start again either. Diversity among the character roster makes sense from both a business and an artistic perspective, yes. But the Big Two have ridden that train pretty much as far as it will go. Both have had LGBT characters long before this. There comes a time to think less about who you're representing and more about how you're relating to your audience.

Also, judging from the art on display here and elsewhere the art has gotten really Uncanny Valley. How can two men kiss when they don't have mouths?

2 comments:

susan said...

This brings a whole new image to a kid saying, "I wanna be just like Superman when I grow up".

No longer is it good enough for Superman to be the protector of the Earth and all its people. Now, he has to embody the politically woke leanings of whoever is running DC Comics. I agree with you there's no problem in having comics with multi letter diversity heroes but it seems more than a little dishonest, and even lazy, to try reinvent such beloved characters.

The picture of those two mouthless guys was kind of disturbing.

Ben said...

Wonder if they saw Deathtrap. Kinda crazy in retrospect, as it has Superman and Batman's butler Alfred as treacherous lovers.

I have to reiterate that it's been a few years since I read mainstream comics outside of newspaper funnies. Not so much because I'm mature and outgrew them--ha ha--but I just felt like I was being jerked around. Anyway, my feeling is that there might be a little room for political statement in the form, it mostly works better as allegory. And it should really be its own thing.