Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Changing methods

If you've been around this blog for a while, you might remember this post. I've remembered it, chiefly because I was able to get it down in a fairly brief amount of time. And there it is.

Which led me to think. When writing fiction there might be something to the method of writing it down as a kind of Q&A dialogue like that. Not that the story will end up in that format. It probably won't. But this experience suggested that it's a way of getting the basics of a story down before the inner critic can put up roadblocks.

Currently I'm fleshing out ideas produced in a first draft in this style. It's going...well, it's going quicker than it often does, that's for sure. Which is a good thing. I needed a change. The old process wasn't working for me.

2 comments:

susan said...

Having really enjoyed your mondernist riff on the Manet picnic painting I can definitely understand you having an interest in exploring the idea further. For one thing, it's definitely an attention getter and for another, the fact that the stories would be quite short means they would be likely to attract a short attention span audience. That may not be what you'd prefer overall, but if you could produce more in that vein you could very well have a publishable anthology.

Ben said...

The Manet thing was fun to write as well. To clarify, though, right now I'm just using the format as a starting point, and further rewrites and revisions make it something else. Or at least that's how it's worked with the story I'm just about done with now. But who knows? Using it again could be fun for others and myself.