Saturday, July 17, 2021

So I was at home, doing whatever. Outside it didn't look particularly overcast. But then I heard thunder. Okay, a little ominous, considering that I was planning to walk to the supermarket in the near future. And indeed in short order it was raining heavily. Well, I figured I'd give it until about 4PM to clear up before I made any further decisions. 

Well in fact by four the rain had indeed cleared up, so the "down one hill, up another" foot trip went okay. I just had to make sure no car came through when I was walking past the big puddle. When I got out of the store it started raining again, but it was pretty light as I was walking home. Then when I'd been inside for a little bit it really opened up, so you could see rivers running by the curb. Then it stopped again.

So, maybe good planning on my part, but definitely good luck. Was that the tail end of the passing hurricane or what?

2 comments:

susan said...

I see the 'parapluie' as they say in France. The one thing it's hard to manage in a rainfall is carrying groceries, impossible if you're carrying more than one bag.

It's funny you mentioning going out when the rain cleared and getting all the way back before the skies opened up again. Funny because that's something that's happened to us on a number of occasions. Perhaps some people are just naturally more sensitive to changing weather conditions. Must be another advantage of not watching too much television.

I've suspected some drivers slow down to watch for unwary walkers nearing giant puddles..

Ben said...

I thought it would be a neat, distinctive header. The truth is, though, that I haven't had an umbrella for quite some time. They always degrade slowly if they don't get destroyed all at once, although you might lose it first. If I were regularly going out in middling rain my calculus might change.

If not watching that much TV has anything to do with it it's probably a matter of being more attuned to what happens in the natural world. There are signs that you can pick up with the five senses. Although for me it's still a matter of estimates.

Oh, and I know for sure that there are drivers who do just that.