Monday, July 6, 2020

Walk under ladders


I used to tell myself that I could stand up to everyone. That if I saw the whole world going wrong, I would stick to my idea of what was right. Not sure if I ever actually believed this, though. Until now.

Don't get me wrong. When I say everybody, I don't mean literally everybody. And not everybody to the same extent. I have supportive family, friends, a few places to look for answers.

One thing I've done is to cut down my news intake by a lot. Some other people have also done this, and for strikingly similar reasons as me. Here is the thing. It's all fun and games to read a few things you accept are true, a few others that you know aren't quite true, and a lot you don't have a firm opinion on. But when you're just taking in lie after lie for weeks on end, it takes a big toll.

Really I should have seen this coming a few years ago when I first saw them batting around the phrase "an almost alcoholic", gibberish syllables that can barely even aspire to being words. Can you get your drank on or not?

But through all this my decisiveness and overall morale have been growing. Decisions I would have agonized over in the past aren't so hard. And people I actually meet tend to react with a new kind of respect. It's not the confidence builder I would have chosen, but it's the one we got.

2 comments:

susan said...

Considering just how difficult it is to find examples of reasoned disagreement with the current articles of faith presented by the msm you won't be surprised to learn we both read Jeff Tucker's article on AIER too. It was a good one too.

We all have our limits and as we've mentioned on several occasions we've not only grown disgusted by the round the clock propaganda in the news media but also disenchanted with several of the writers and columnists whose work we used to enjoy. In order to stay informed about things we may need to know we'll look at Zero Hedge and Naked Capitalism in the morning and then move on from there.

There are a few news and opinion websites I check out fairly often - among them: The American Conservative, Strategic Culture, Consortium News and The Onion (well, why not?).

Every so often, though, like this article you linked to you'll find something excellent that wasn't on one of the better known websites. This article 'From context collapse to content collapse' provides a great description of how things got to be the way they are.

I'm glad to know you're feeling more self-assured in your daily interactions. When you're comfortable with yourself it goes a long way toward making others feel relaxed.

Ben said...

The Onion's been an old reliable for years in terms of topical comedy that goes a little deeper. I think at this point Clickhole, from largely the same team, has taken the lead.

That "from context collapse to content collapse" piece is brilliant. I've bookmarked that blog in Vivaldi. He seems to have been at it a long time.

Yeah, it is nice. I do have sluggish days now and then. Then I just have to find some way to distract myself and get back on-track.