Sunday, July 26, 2020

Pieces on the board

Firekites - AUTUMN STORY - chalk animation from Lucinda Schreiber on Vimeo.

The song is pretty nice. It's by an Australian band I'm not familiar with otherwise. But I'm really here because I'm really here because I'm a sucker for a good alternative process animated work. (In truth any hand drawn animation can be called an alternative process at this point.) This one makes fine use of chalk's tendency to leave traces of itself behind, which you might think is a disadvantage. Extra credit for using more than one chalkboard.

2 comments:

susan said...

That's a very special little video that I think I like for just the reasons you mentioned. I thought at first I had seen butterflies so I watched it again to see the birds and the smooth changes.

Ben said...

I can see how you got the butterflies impression. That shifting, protean white chalk. And there were a couple of different kinds of bird, too.