Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Cryptowhatever

Bitcoin is something that a few of my friends are interested in. Of course it's a pricey market, so even the most affluent people in my circle haven't dove in and invested in it yet. But still, I know some people who seem to think it's legit.

For all the intricate talk about blockchains, well...Call me a thick Luddite if you must, but it seems to me like someone had the idea of running an expensive numbers racket and using computers as props. Which, to be honest, I'm surprised no one thought of fifty years ago.

2 comments:

susan said...

If I have an empty cup of noodles in my left hand and a bunch of tulips in my right, which one is worth more? Left, right or both? *

Considering the facts that there are now not only multiple ICOs but that all of them seem to be bouncing up and down with more downs than ups lately I'd say the time to invest in a particular one is long gone. Besides, you can't actually do anything with them - no nice solid bitcoin watch, ring, or bars for that matter. To my mind they're another version of a Ponzi scheme, the original of which is even pre-internet.

Okay, so I'm a Luddite too - a proud one.
* Alfonso quote from Animal Crossing.

Ben said...

"We're friends, so I won't gnaw on your legs, even though I'm starving."
Ah, good old Alfonso.

Yeah, that's the thing. What are you even buying? Not something you can use or even look at, really. Of course these things are outside my price range, so what I say could be seen as sour grapes. But I bet a lot of people who do invest are going to get burned.