Monday, August 21, 2017

The moon is a night shift worker that sometimes gets restless during the day

The eclipse was perceptible where I live, if not as dramatic as some places. It might have been a little darker than usual for the time of day, but it was hard to tell how much of that was clouds.

Still, it's kind of a neat effect. Some young folks at work had built a viewer, basically a cardboard box with an aperture cut into it and some more paper. So I saw a reflection of the eclipse anyway. As for staring directly at the sun, I'll just go back to doing that tomorrow.

2 comments:

susan said...

The eclipse was supposed to be partially visible here as well but we couldn't see any difference in the light of a very bright day. Although I'm sure it would be very neat to see one in the direct path, it seemed to me a little too much hysteria was being fed to people. One website reported millions of people were likely to go blind. Then it turned out the only person caught looking at the sun without eye protection was the president. Hmmm..

Ben said...

I hope you weren't too disappointed that it wasn't really visible there. I don't know, some of these estimates of where you can see it might be something like guesswork. Where did that site get the millions-going-blind number? There may have been some, but it sounds like a high gauge. As for the POTUS, I guess it's a relief he didn't actually go blind. That would have been one figurative truth made literal too many.