So anyway, last night I watched Seven Psychopaths. It's Martin McDonagh's follow-up to In Bruges, and throughout his stand-in character expresses his ambivalence to making an American counterpart to that movie. So while McDonagh certainly swipes some tricks from both Tarantino and the Coen brothers, he does wind up with something that seems to represent him.
Cast is great, although as one of the characters points out there's not a lot going on for women. That character is played by Christopher Walken, in one of his more soulful parts. Tom Waits shows up for a couple of scenes, doing his delightfully eccentric thing. And Woody Harrelson drives it home as a legitimately scary LA gangster.
So, an appreciable movie.
1. Imperial Teen - Overtaken
2. The Beastie Boys - Hey Fuck You
3. Dirty Projectors - Stillness is the Move
4. St. Vincent - Psychopath
5. New Pornographers - Marching Orders
6. Paul Simon - Once Upon a Time There Was an Ocean
7. Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
8. Nancy Wilson & Cannonball Adderley - Little Unhappy Boy
9. Brian Eno - I'll Come Running
10. Diana Krall - Boy from Ipanema