Saturday, February 25, 2012

Wacky box



I first heard about the Monome a couple of weeks ago. It's an interesting bit of musical technology. Is it a creative musical instrument or a toy that basically makes music by itself while you watch. Potentially either, I guess. It seems like something Brian Eno would like, or Bowie if he hadn't retired.

One thing that I find fascinating is that in terms of looks it resembles the Nixon era's idea of high tech. It would have had a futuristic aura when Mike and Gloria were sleeping in Archie Bunker's guest room. Now it comes with a kind of yard sale vibe.

2 comments:

susan said...

Jer walked into the room this morning as I was playing this and said it sounded pretty neat. You're right about Brian Eno probably liking it too as good ambient music sounds quite natural. As far as looks go, it is very retro.

Ben said...

Hmm, new layout when I'm reading comments.

But yeah, it kind of struck me as something that would tickle you and Jerry.