Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Suggestion

I definitely like the idea of the It Gets Better Project and there is a need for it. Hopefully the world is a little kinder and safer for bullied teens when they hear encouragement from people who have been through it.

That said I wonder if there isn't an opportunity being lost here. As far as I know, none of the people who have spoken out have been on the other side of the equation. There would be value in hearing from someone who used to be a homophobic bully, but who got past it. Not just as a mea culpa, although there is that. Kids are killing themselves because they think their lives aren't going to change. But one way and another they will. And there is every possibility that their oppressors will too.

Then again, it's best to make clear that this will take time.

3 comments:

susan said...

I'm glad there has been so much recent coverage about this issue and it's one I wish could be dealt with once and for all.

We watched 'The Lord of the Flies' this evening and the lesson about the madness of mob mentality hasn't changed at all.

Ben said...

The one made in the sixties? I haven't seen that, but I understand the director just showed up with the kids on the island and had them act scenes out of the novel, rather than a script. Sounds pretty intense.

susan said...

Yes, the 1963 one. I just checked that out on wiki and it's essentially true. It's really very good.